A dream come trueWork on the Botanical Garden began in the early 1930s, in the depths of the Great Depression. After a three-year hiatus, it started up again in 1936 when the provincial government adopted a make-work policy for the unemployed. An army of 2,000 men (and many horses!) set to work making Brother Marie-Victorin's dream a reality. It was during this period that the so-called "exhibition" gardens, including the Perennial Garden, were laid out along Pie-IX Boulevard.
The structural elements, walls, stairways, pergolas and basins throughout the exhibition gardens add a sense of permanence. None of them has ever been relocated, in fact ? a tribute to the brilliance of Teuscher's initial concept.