Backed by curé Beaudet a group of citizens from the parish's small urban centre addressed the Quebec legislature, requesting town status. Their request was approved and on February 27, 1893, the centre of the parish territory was incorporated into a municipality named Ville Saint-Laurent.
From then on, the territory was divided into Ville Saint-Laurent and the parish Saint-Laurent. The parish had more of a farming vocation.
The city subsequently grew by means of successive annexations to sections of the parish territory until these were completed in 1954.
In 1955, an amendment was made to the charter, and the Town became the City of Saint-Laurent. Finally, on May 25, 1967, a new amendment to the charter resulted in the official christening of Ville de Saint-Laurent.