In 1962 Gérard Lavallée, a fine arts professor, founded an art gallery inside the Collège de Saint-Laurent. The Nova et vetera gallery, whose name signifies old and new realities, has the objective of increasing the awareness of young people to arts and heritage through exhibitions by the Quebec artists from the Quiet Revolution 1.
In 1972 it was renamed the Galerie d'art Kébec. It acquired a Board of Directors in 1975 and was authorized by cégep de Saint-Laurent management (the former collège de Saint-Laurent), to occupy the chapel. The latter is the former St. Andrew and St. Paul church, which was erected in 1867 on Dorchester boulevard in Montréal. It was dismantled, transported and reconstructed in Saint-Laurent in 1931 to make way for Central Station. The art gallery officially became the Musée d'art de Saint-Laurent in 1976. It was recognized by the government the following year, and opened its doors to the public in January 1979.
Collège de Saint-Laurent's chapel